McKean Defense Diesel Engine Inspector/SME - Expat Assignment Egypt in Virginia Beach, Virginia
McKean Defense is an employee owned Naval Life Cycle Management, Engineering, Enterprise Transformation and Program Management business headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. McKean’s engineers, developers, technical staff, programmers, analysts, and program managers identify and deploy new shipboard technologies, integrate information technology across shipboard platforms, and develop strategies to support the Warfighter. McKean’s employees create strategic solutions to help customers reach new levels of mission support and transform their organizations.
Directly supervise, mentor and train assigned Egyptian apprentice and journeyman personnel. This includes assigning work, evaluating performance, identifying training needs and hearing/resolving issues and conflicts.
Perform intermediate and depot level maintenance on all types of main propulsion systems, subsystems, equipment, and auxiliary machinery typically found aboard former USN FFG-7 class frigates and MHC-51 class vessels in support of Egyptian Navy shipboard lifecycle maintenance requirements. Primarily tasked with repairing and overhauling Diesel Engines (Detroit, Caterpillar, MTU and Isotta Fraschini) using approved technical work packages and technical publications. Additional, tasking includes, but is not limited to, supporting removal and repairs to shafts, rudders, valves (replacement and rebuilt), and repairs to other engineering systems and subsystems typically found aboard FFG-7 and MHC-51 class ships. Provide detailed and technically accurate written condition, and open and inspection reports. Use technical publications to identify and order required repair parts.
- Must be able to obtain a Security Clearance
- Must be proficient in the use of hand tools, precision measurement tools, and possess a thorough knowledge of standard shipyard practices
- Must have Diesel Engine Inspector certification or NEC
- Must have knowledge of intermediate-level and depot-level repair procedures, repair and maintenance standards, quality assurance specifications, and proper use of IMA industrial machinery
- Ability to prepare detailed written reports
- Ability to manage, train and mentor foreign nationals
Proficient with Microsoft Office Required Experience
Minimum 5 years of Shipyard or Naval experience with a minimum of 2 years of specific Outside Machinist/IMA experience
- Must have experience troubleshooting, repairing and overhauling Detroit, Caterpillar, MTU and/or Isotta Fraschini diesel engines (Experience working on all three engines a plus)
- Dry-dock experience a plus
For assignment to Egypt, the SME must be tolerant of the foreign, predominately Islamic, environment and capable of working effectively and harmoniously with others in that environment. Must be resourceful and able to work around problems or issues that may arise. Must be able to work independently without support, frequently having to accomplish repairs and overhauls alone. The SME must agree to work in Egypt for at least one year, as long as performance is satisfactory and the effort continues to be funded; be willing to consider staying longer, if offered.
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
McKean Defense is an E-Verify company.
Tracking Code: 2464-317
Job Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular