U.S. Xpress, Inc. Diesel Mechanic in shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Tests, services, and repairs tractors and related mechanical components.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Diagnose and repair most transmission, engine, electrical, suspension, driveline, HVAC, brakes and air systems. May require assistance from Tech III.
- Repair/Replace bolt on body parts such as hoods and cab extenders.
- Perform DOT inspections as outlined in USX guidelines.
- Perform open seat inspections to prepare tractor for next driver.
- Perform 90 day lease operator inspections.
- Accurately complete DOT forms and all other forms of documentation in timely fashion.
- Capable of using all diagnostic equipment and resources.
- Drive trucks in and out of shop before and after repairs.
- Clean and maintain work area on a daily basis.
- Maintain a high level of productivity and be able to work within or close to most SRT times.
- Perform basic or minor repairs and inspections on brakes, tires, wiring etc.
- Perform basic and routine preventative maintenance on tractors and trailers
- Check vehicle fluids; transmission, oil, windshield wiper, antifreeze, etc.
- Perform vehicle preventative maintenance (pm’s) as outlined in USX pm guidelines.
- Change vehicle tires.
- Grease mechanical parts
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 2 years of tractor experience required.
- Experience in the transportation industry a plus.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Basic computer skills preferred.
- Ability to read and write.
- Must provide own hand tools that are adequate to perform job functions.
Physical Requirements: while performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; frequently stands, walks, uses hands to finger, handle or feel; and reaches with hands and arms.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time supporting full body weight
- Ability to walk 1000 feet minimum and change positions frequently
- Ability to frequently move shoulders with full range of motion in all six planes of movement
- Ability to reach heights over 72” frequently; ability to crouch to height of 18” frequently
- Ability to reach and stretch across the midline with full cervical range of motion and bilateral range of motion
- Ability to use hand tools constantly for extended periods of time
- Ability to stoop to 30” minimum and kneel to 18” minimum
- Ability to frequently climb 51’ with one 24” step and pull full body weight.
- Ability to frequently climb stairs 24” without a hand hold rail.
- Ability to pull self up ladder with 4x17”steps with upper body pull.
- Ability to constantly go in/out of truck on 51” and one 24” step pulling full body weight.
- Ability to frequently go up and down ramp.
- Ability to occasionally push 250 lbs, pull 125 lbs, frequently push/pull 100/50 lbs and constantly push/pull 50/25 lbs.
- Ability to occasionally carry, lift overhead, high, low and medium lift 51/75 lbs, frequently 50/21 lbs and constantly 20/1 lbs.
*Must be able to perform all physical requirements with reasonable accommodation.
Work Environment:this job operates in a well-lit and well-ventilated repair shop environment.
Humidity or Wet conditions (non-weather-related)
Extreme Cold (non-weather-related)
Extreme Heat (non-weather-related)
Moving Mechanical Parts
Risk of Electrical Shock or Radiation
High or Precarious places
Fumes or Airborne Particules
Toxic, Caustic Chemicals or Hazardous Waste
Outdoor Weather Conditions
Work with Explosives
Stooping, Kneeling, Crouching, Crawling
Speaking, Listening, Tasting, Smelling
Lifting, Climbing, Balancing
Special Visual Requirements
Special Hand Movements
Date Posted: 07 / 10 / 2018
Shift Details: Wed-Sat 2:30pm-1:00am
Requisition Number: 10956
Shift: Weekday - Nights
Full/Part Time Status: Full Time