Bechtel Corporation Senior Mechanical Engineer in Santiago, Chile
Requisition ID: 205991
Internal Candidate Under Consideration: No
Relocation Authorized: None
Project No.: 26146
Responsible for assigned activities within an engineering discipline in a global business unit. Applies broad knowledge of engineering principles and practices to project engineering in the preparation of engineering analyses. Makes decisions concerning problems within the discipline on the project. Represents the discipline on the project and with the client as directed to resolve technical questions.
A. Supervision Received
Receives operational supervision and technical guidance from a Project Engineer, Mechanical Supervisor, or Chief Engineer.
Objectives are defined and results are subject to supervisory review.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Provides technical guidance to subordinate engineers, scientists, specialists, designers and drafters as assigned.
- Maintains contacts, as directed, with client representatives, suppliers, appropriate field personnel and other disciplines.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
1. Plans, develops, coordinates and reviews engineering work within a discipline on projects of medium size and complexity or assignments in support of a global business unit.
2. Coordinates and interfaces as directed with the day-to-day technical work of discipline engineers, scientists, specialists, designers and drafters.
3. Communicates complex technical issues and recommends solutions to upper management.
4. Facilitates technical discussions with third parties (client, suppliers, regulators).
5. Prepares or oversees the preparation of discipline estimates and work plan in accordance with project scope, schedule and budget, and manages implementation and performance accordingly.
6. Develops Engineering Department Procedures (EDPs), Bechtel design guides, appropriate Bechtel Standard Application Program (BSAPs) and administrative practices.
7. Coordinates with client representatives as delegated to obtain approval on phases of work.
8. Reviews and approves key engineering drawings and calculations and bid summaries.
9. Coordinates assigned engineering work with other project groups.
10. Mentors engineers, scientists, designers and drafters by providing appropriate on-the-job training for their professional development.
11. Promotes the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
Knowledge of systems, calculations, equipment, applications of methods, plant layout, materials, and computers for preparation of analyses and development of project deliverables within the discipline.
Knowledge and understanding of technical and cost issues related to selection of design features within the discipline.
Knowledge of engineering work planning and control methods.
Knowledge of precedents in the discipline and of principles and practices of related disciplines.
Knowledge of related construction practices and the economics involved.
Broad knowledge of industry/regulatory codes and standards, and design criteria pertinent to the particular discipline.
Good knowledge of Engineering Department Procedures (EDPs), Bechtel design guides, appropriate Bechtel Standard Application Program (BSAPs) and administrative practices.
Leadership to exercise supervision
Strong knowledge in at least one area of mechanical specialties: Material Handling, slurry pumping, other pumping, dust control, fire protection, cooling systems, HVAC, potable water plants, waste Treatment plants, Surface protection (painting), Tanks sizing, etc
Knowledge in maintainability of Copper Concentrators
Strong knowledge of mining processes (Copper Concentrator, leaching, SX-EW, etc) to prepare and review P&ID'S.
Fluent English (spoken and writen).
The above is normally acquired through:
A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, from an accredited college or university, OR
A professional license in an appropriate engineering or scientific discipline, from a recognized licensing board, OR
Specialized courses in relevant general engineering, design or science or an appropriate engineering discipline, AND
Broad progressive work experience in design engineering, science or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants, or engineering/construction firms.
All applicants must have the right to work and remain in Chile.
Salary will be based on current market rates and the posted grade will not be adjusted to suit the successful candidate.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.