Union Pacific Electrician - Diesel Engines in Los Angeles, California
Diesel Electricians perform the inspection, repair and maintenance of the electrical components on diesel electric locomotives. Physical duties involve occasionally climbing and maintaining balance on locomotive steps and ladders to gain access to the locomotive roof; maintaining balance when occasionally walking on catwalks, running boards, uneven terrain, ballast, and roofs while making repairs; stepping around objects and equipment on the floor; lift/carry and push/pull objects weighing 25 lbs to 70 lbs occasionally; performing work while occasionally bending and stooping and in awkward postural positions; performing occasional overhead work for short periods of time; and remaining standing or sitting for more than one-half of every work day with the opportunity to periodically change position for comfort.
- Perform, with use of blueprints, schematics and location circuit plans, scheduled electrical inspections of various components and inspection and test of circuitry in accordance with company and industry standards.
- Diagnose electrical malfunctions in locomotive control circuits and components, assess the nature of problems, and identify corrective action needed.
- Perform maintenance and repair of electrical components in locomotive cabs or electrical compartments and perform maintenance for miscellaneous equipment using blueprints, schematics, and location circuit plans.
- Work with shop machines and tools.
- Plan and coordinate work activities, determine equipment needs, and develop sequences of steps to get work completed.
- Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures.
- Communicate with others, verbally and in writing, technical information, job procedure recommendations, and other work-related information.
- Assist other employees as needed.
- Detect and interpret visual color signals and displays at near and far distances, identify alterations of objects (size, shape, temperature), detect unusual sounds and smells during inspections and tests (leaks in air systems), use depth perception to judge speed and distance of locomotives being moved on service area, and listen to detect warning signals.
- Ensure that all signals, lights, and other safety appliances used by employees for protection are properly displayed and used.
- Read, interpret and understand written or electronic information, maintain the information, and compile reports.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations.
- Ability to speak English in a clear, concise manner in order to communicate with coworker(s) and supervisor(s).
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. If you have taken the Skilled Craft Battery Test for this position and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this posting. The number of candidates who pass the test and are invited to interview will be based upon hiring needs. Click here to see a sample of the Skilled Craft Battery test.
- Provide verifiable documentation with electrical education and work experience in electronics, control systems, AC/DC motors, OR current journeyman's electrical card.
- Applicants must qualify on a Physical Ability Test (PAT) prior to employment. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
- Associates Degree or higher in electronics, control systems, AC/DC motors, or electrical components
With more than 8,000 locomotives and 107,000 freight cars, mechanics at all career levels can find opportunities at Union Pacific’s many shops. Mechanical employees inspect, repair and maintain freight cars and locomotives. By ensuring the equipment is in good working order, Union Pacific can offer safe, reliable transport of customer goods.
Union Pacific is one of America’s premier transportation and logistics companies, linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serving many of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. Generations of Americans have built successful careers at Union Pacific and in the process, they’ve helped build a nation – delivering lumber for our homes, food for our tables, energy for our power plants and the countless raw materials and finished goods that supply the American way of life.
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Closing Date: None at 11:59 PM Central Time
Job Open To: Internal and External Candidates