CSX Welder Helper - Chesterton IN in LA PORTE, Indiana
Title: Welder Helper - Chesterton IN
Location: United States-IN-La Porte
Job Number: 045003
Repair and maintain all aspects of rail including frogs, rail-ends, turn-outs, switch points, and glue joints using arc, propane or thermite welding processes. Employees must be able to meet and comply with the manufacturer's weight limitation safety rating and recommendations for any equipment associated with performing their duties, including the 300 lb. safety rating for ladders (both portable and affixed) and fall arrest equipment.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Inspect all equipment daily to check for leaky cylinders, hoses or connections
- Perform grinding tasks using power and hand tools
- Assist other employees in changing out rail with rail tongs
- Replace rail anchors, drive spikes and tamp ballast as needed
- Clean work pieces to remove impurities, such as slag, rust and grease
- Monitor and maintain flow of gases, light torch and adjust gas mixture and pressure to obtain desired flame when making field welds
- Apply filler rod to molten area to form weld
- Repair or replace broken or cracked rail and build-up rail, trim weld, grind the surface of rail, and grind gauge sides
- Inspect weld after grinding to check for hairline cracks or any visible defects
- Operate propane torches and electric and gas welding equipment
- Operate heavy duty trucks to carry equipment to and from the work site
- Test rail after using the thermite welding procedure to detect voids, lack of fusion or other defects in the rail
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager
Entry Rate $24.77/hour Full Rate $27.52/hour
You will attend three weeks of training at the Railroad Education & Development Institute in Atlanta, GA. CSX will pay for travel, lodging and meals as required by collective bargaining agreement.
- High School Diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Experience in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) and/or Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW)
- One or more years of outside work exp (e.g. construction, heavy equipment op, farming,etc)
- Welding certification
- Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications)
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement and membership is req.
- Required to maintain this position for 6 months before bidding
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examinations
- Must successfully pass probationary period
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, or safety-toe boots
- May require regional travel
Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. When a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities. In line with our commitment to safety, the applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete medical screenings and a background check.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 190 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster. Here Click here to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information. Here
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.