Air Force Materiel Command MAINTENANCE MECHANIC in Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT additional information.
CUT-OFF DATE: Complete application packages processed by the first cut-off date of 06/21/2018 may be rated and receive first consideration for employment. If your application is submitted and processed after this date, you will receive consideration on an "as needed basis".
Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to perform preventive maintenance on HVAC/R systems and equipment. Install, modify, overhaul, repair, and maintain a variety of complex heating boilers and/or heating systems, single and multiple fuel power boilers, and associated auxiliary and pollution control equipment. Install, repair, and maintain large commercial and industrial ventilation, refrigeration, air conditioning (AC), and cooling systems with complex problems and extensive repairs. Perform essential electrical work incidental to the maintenance and operation of HVAC/R systems.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
4749 Maintenance Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Must be registered for Selective Service. See Legal and Regulatory Guide
- Incumbent may be required to obtain and maintain appropriate background investigation and/or security clearance
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- This position is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Incumbent may be subject to pre-employment drug testing as a condition of employment and be subject to random drug testing
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Appointment may be contingent upon passing a physical examination
- Shift work may be required. The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays. The work will require the employee to carry an electronic beeper or cell phone
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license may be required for the position
- Position requires CFC/NCFC Certification (universal) as required by 40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F., EPA.
- Position requires the ability to discern colors, contrast, and depth
- Will be required to train/guide lower graded (or other trades) military/civilian employees
- Work will require travel away from the normal duty station
- Employee will be required to support Base Readiness, Emergency Operations Exercises, Real World Threats and Events. Employee will be required to support Special Events I.e, Annual Air Show, Base Exercises, etc
- Employee will be required to augment the Civil Engineering Snow Removal Team not necessarily performing in their primary skill code. (Would be trained on safe snow shoveling and snow removal practice and would receive appropriate safety equipment)
- May be required to serve "on call" and may be required to be available after duty hours when problems arise. The incumbent is subject to call seven days a week, 24 hours a day
QUALIFICATION: Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C for the: OPM Job Grading Standard (JGS) for Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic, WG-5306; Heating and Boiler Plant Equipment Mechanic, WG-5309; Electrician, WG-2805 and Maintenance Mechanic, WG-4749.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most blue-collar positions, you must meet any screen-out element listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
The screen out element for this position is to perform the most difficult and complex Maintenance Mechanic tasks to include installing, maintaining, repairing, performing quality preventive maintenance and modifying large/complex heating (includes heating boilers and single and multiple fuel power boilers), ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC/R) systems and support equipment including mechanical system controls and distribution lines installed in high-use facilities.
JOB ELEMENTS:Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas: 1. Knowledge of the principles and theories of air conditioning and refrigeration and properties of refrigerants; mechanical, electromechanical, and pneumatic principles to inspect, install, test, maintain, and repair power boilers and associated auxiliary and pollution control equipment; and the construction and operation of a variety of large industrial and commercial refrigeration and A/C systems. 2. Knowledge of electrical equipment, i.e., rneggers, test lamps, voltage testers, ammeters, and polarity testers. 3. Knowledge of safety regulations, practices, and procedures; and regulations, procedures, and policies related to records maintenance and documentation. 4. Skill in dismantling, repairing, and reassembling pumps, impellers, compressors, chillers, receivers, and evaporators to include balancing, aligning, and maintaining turbines, pumps, generators, and ash shredding equipment and preheaters; troubleshooting complex problems on large projects; and applying prescribed test procedures. 5. Skill in the use of hand tools, power tools, and a variety of test equipment. 6. Ability to read and interpret instructions, blueprints, drawings, sketches, and specifications; and maintain difficult balances of a variety of refrigerant controls and complicated motor controls.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE:Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Additional Conditions of Employment: A minimum of a Refrigeration Apprentice or an Oil Burner Apprentice is required, A Refrigeration Technician or an Oil Burner Technician Certification is preferred IAW Title 40: Protection of Environment PART 82-PROTECTION OF STRATOSPHERIC OZONE Per AFI 32-1001 Operations Management, Attachment 1 AIR FORCE PAMPHLET 32-1004, VOLUME 3 AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 32-1068 AFOSHSTD 91-10 Civil Engineering; results in licensing required by Commonwealth of Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 148.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants):Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
90-Day Register:This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
Physical Demands: The employee lifts, carries, and handles equipment up to 50 pounds unassisted and over 50 pounds with assistance. Works from ladders, scaffolding platforms, or cramped areas where equipment, parts, or tools are hard to reach. Work requires frequent stooping, stretching, bending, kneeling, and working in tiring, uncomfortable positions for long periods. In addition, work involves frequent movement and maneuvering oflarge, heavy equipment using hoists, holders, and pulleys as required.
Working Environment:The employee works indoors and outdoors, on elevated structures, and in cramped areas. Subject to discomfort from face masks or other protective devices when there is a possibility of exposure to chemicals, heat, steam, noise, noxious gases, fumes, or acids. Occasionally works outside, on top of buildings, in drafty attic spaces, and in cramped areas with low overheads. Subject to possible burns, electrical shocks, cuts, strains, bruises, and chemical irritations. To reduce dangers from these and other similar conditions, follows prescribed safety practices and use safety equipment such as safety glasses, hard-toe shoes, respirators, hard hats, and fire retardant gloves.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
BASIS OF RATING: Your application will be rated under the Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which the quality, depth, and complexity of your experience and education relate to the qualifications requirement. Additional points are not added for Veteran's Preference; however, Veteran Preference is still applied.
Category 3, Best Qualified: Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements. Category 2, Highly Qualified: Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements. Category 1, Qualified: Candidates in this category meet the minimum education and/or experience requirements.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire. The numeric rating you received is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- A complete Application Questionnaire
- Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference). ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act Chapter 21 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 2108a, requires Federal agencies treat active duty service member as veterans, disabled veterans, and preference eligible, when they submit, at the time they apply for a Federal job, a "certification" of active service in lieu of a DD-214, assuming the service member is otherwise eligible. A "certification" letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. The service member's military service dates are necessary in order to determine whether he or she meets the definition of "veteran" under 5 U.S.C. 2108(1). The "certification" must reflect the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of submission. The "certification" must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin (if applicable), your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Further, under paragraph (h) of the rule, agencies are required to verify a qualifying separation from military service prior to appointment, through the DD-214 or other appropriate documentation. Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Active duty members that fail to provide a valid "certification" of service with their initial application will be found "not eligible." Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 07/01/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10224619
To begin the process, click the Apply Onlinebutton to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Applicationbutton at the end of the process. If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10224619
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOTmodify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
Hanscom AFB 20 Schilling Cir Bldg 1305 Hanscom AFB, MA US
Learn more about this agency
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the hiring official.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/501618200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 06/11/2018 to 07/01/2018
Salary: $24.82 to $28.98 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 10
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent