Army National Guard Units (Title 32/Title 5) POWERED SUPPORT SYSTEMS MECHANIC in Groton, Connecticut
**THIS IS A TITLE 32 DUAL STATUS POSITION
This position is located within TASMG Projects and may be extended or terminated at the discretion of the TASMG Commander.
DUTY LOCATION:**Theater Aviation Sustainment Maintenance Group (TASMG), Groton, CT
AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION: Area 1:All currently employed full-time permanent and indefinite personnel of the CTARNG. Area II: All currently employed full-time temporary technician personnel and all current traditional members of the CTARNG.
Learn more about this agency
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED.This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Connecticut Army National Guard.
JOB SUMMARY: The primary purpose for the position is to perform duties involving the maintenance and repair of power ground and other support equipment used in aircraft servicing and repairs.
The major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the Ground Support Equipment maintenance program, inventory control, and the identification and scheduling of preventive maintenance requirements for ground support equipment.
- Troubleshoots deficiencies and repairs flight critical equipment including lifting devices, turbine powered generators, towing devices and auxiliary power units.
- Troubleshoots, repairs; services; performs modifications on, and operates powered ground support equipment such as AC and DC power generators, air compressors, blowers, heaters, portable lighting units, deicers and non-powered equipment to include work stands, jacks, ramps, tow-bars, etc.
- Performs required preventive maintenance and servicing of equipment including repairing and replacing tires, lubrication, oil changes, replacing air, fuel and oil filters, checking fluid levels; and adjusting or replacing ignition parts, hoses, v-belts, and other items.
- Performs major system component overhaul/rebuild, repair/replacement and troubleshooting as needed, to include but not limited to, power-plant systems, brake systems, steering systems, hydraulic systems, diesel and gas systems, air systems, starting systems, ignition systems and electrical systems in addition to the following components, power-plant, brake, fuel, steering, hydraulic, air, starting, ignition and electrical system. WORKING CONDITIONS:Incumbent works inside and outside in inclement weather, on icy, wet and slippery ramps, aircraft surfaces and work stands. Subject to the dangers from exposure to toxic fumes, high-pressure air and fluids, and electrical current. Subject to the hazards of engine intake noise, fumes, exhaust heat and blast and rotating propellers. Incumbent work involves climbing, stooping, standing, bending, stretching and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
PHYSICAL EFFORT:Frequent climbing, bending, reaching, crouching, stooping, kneeling and arm movement is required. Some work is performed in awkward positions or in cramped areas. Frequently lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 pounds and occasionally lifts heavier items using jacks, hoists, or other helpers.
Occasional travel - Subject to supervisor discretion and funding availability
- #### Job family (Series)
5378 Powered Support Systems Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- Must meet Compatible Military Assignment within one year from placement.
- Wear of the military uniform is mandatory.
- Direct Deposit is mandatory.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Must possess a valid state drivers license.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE:Experience which demonstrates the knowledge of mechanical maintenance work; ability to read and use technical manuals, illustrations, diagrams and schematics, and skill in the use of equipment and hand tools used in troubleshooting, testing and repairing equipment.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Your resume and any other supporting documentation you wish to provide must clearly substantiate you currently possess 18 months of specialized experience in the following: * Experience removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing parts, components, and accessories. * Experience which provided working knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to powered support equipment and systems; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments. * Experience which provided working knowledge of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships. * Experience reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: * Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic systems and components related to electrical power production equipment and aircraft arresting systems. * Skill in troubleshooting, repairing, overhauling, or rebuilding diesel or gasoline engines, generators, starter motors, carburetors, associated generating and distributing equipment and aircraft arresting systems. * Ability and skill to read and apply technical manuals, wiring diagrams, schematic drawings and to measure and work with close tolerances in the performance of their duties. * Ability to troubleshoot more complex malfunctions requiring knowledge of the interaction of several subsystems. * Skill in using hand tools, power tools, and precision measuring equipment.
COMPATIBLE MILITARY ASSIGNMENT:All applications will be considered regardless of Branch/AOC/FA/MOS. Incumbent will be required to be assigned to compatible military position within 1 year of selection. The selected individual may be required to attend formal technician school training.
MILITARY GRADE (Prior to Application): Enlisted:E-4 through E-7 COMPATIBLE MILITARY ASSIGNMENT:ECMF: 15, 91; EMOS: 92A/F/Y, 94E/R UNIT OF ASSIGNMENT: Any aviation unit within the state
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: This position is covered by the medical monitoring program. Individual selected must undergo a preemployment physical examination prior to appointment. This position requires a security clearance (Secret) which the applicant must possess or be able to obtain a clearance within one year of appointment. For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license for the state in which they live or are principally employed.
No substitution of education for specialized experience.
Relocation expenses will NOT be paid.
Under 32 U.S.C. 709, Veterans Preference does NOT apply.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
MILITARY INCENTIVES - BONUSES AND STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM: If you are selected for this position, you may lose your eligibility for your National Guard Enlistment/Reenlistment Bonus and Student Loan Repayment Program (incentives). In order to avoid losing your incentive eligibility, you should check with your serving incentive manager (CTARNG-G1 or CTANG-Retention Office) prior to accepting an offer for the position. For M-Day/Traditional personnel who are currently receiving incentives to include Bonuses and the Student Loan Repayment Program, the following termination rule applies:
Incentive Termination without Recoupment: If you accept a Military Technician (Mil Tech) Permanent position where membership in the National Guard is a condition of employment, your bonus will be terminated with no recoupment as long as you have served at least 6 months of the bonus contract following receipt of the initial bonus payment.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Please ensure you follow all instructions carefully. Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. Applicant must ensure resume and any other required supporting documentation clearly portrays that s/he meets the required experience level for the position. Please ensure your resume accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities under each position you have held with each employer. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. It is your responsibility to make sure your resume states complete information for each job entry (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YYYY; and total hours worked per week). If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume showing relevant experience
- Responses to the Assessment Questionnaire
- Unofficial Transcripts, if used to qualify (An official transcript may be required before being hired.)
- OF 306 - Declaration of Federal Employment (THIS FORM NEEDS YOUR SIGNATURE ON PAGE 2 AND MUST BE DATED WITHIN SIX MONTHS OF THE CLOSING DATE STATED ON THE ANNOUNCEMENT) If you do not submit the required OF 306, you will be disqualified.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 07/20/2018 on to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
CT 1109th TASMG Groton-New London Airport Groton, CT US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Thank you for your interest in the Connecticut National Guard!
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504470200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 07/06/2018 to 07/20/2018
Salary: $29.75 to $34.70 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 10
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Term - Indefinite