University of North Carolina at Charlotte FM Technician Mechanical Trades in Charlotte, North Carolina
Position Number: 010075
Department: Facilities Management (Adm)
Employment Type: Permanent - Full-time
Months Per Year: 12
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform broad and functionally diverse facility maintenance assignments including troubleshooting the most complex, non-routine mechanical systems.
- Serve as a technical expert within the work unit in one or more areas of the electrical, HVAC/R or plumbing fields.
- Analyze building electrical and HVAC systems, and recommend modifications to achieve better operation or energy efficiency.
- Diagnose mechanical problems and determine how to correct them by checking blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs, as necessary.
- Use tools ranging from common hand and power tools, such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches, to precision measuring instruments and electrical and electronic testing devices.
Minimum Experience / Education:
Graduation from high school or equivalent and two years experience. Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the position’s role may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
Preferred Education Skills and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED and two years’ experience in in the installation, maintenance and repair of the physical plant facilities required. Experience in the electrical trade’s area may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Associate’s degree.
- Ability to perform and troubleshoot broad and functionally diverse facility maintenance assignments for complex and non-routine mechanical systems.
- Strong knowledge in electrical work that includes installing, maintaining, altering and repairing wiring, electrical devices, machinery and equipment.
- Ability to analyze and diagnose building electrical and HVAC systems, and recommend modifications to achieve better operation or energy efficiency.
- Experience in referring to blue prints, repair manuals or parts catalogs to recommend repair mechanical problems.
- Experience with recording daily activities into an order tracking system.
- NC Electrical license, NC Plumbing license, NC HVAC/R license, Journeyman card or EPA license preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate the English language (reading, writing, interpretation and comprehension).
- Effective skills in verbal, written and interpersonal communications, however excellent communication skills are preferred.
- Computer literate. Knowledge and skill with Google systems, Microsoft Word and Excel, and willingness to learn new programs.
- Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork.
- Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.